Vols vs. Murray State
Lamonte Turner,#1, taking a free throw against Murray State on Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at Thompson-Boling Arena. 

Tennessee’s men’s basketball team had spent every week since December of 2017 ranked in the nation’s top 25 entering this season.

The Vols were left out of the preseason top 25 after losing 70 percent of the scoring from last season’s 31 win team. It took Rick Barnes and the Vols just two weeks into the season to return to the polls coming in at No. 20 in the AP poll.

Tennessee was fifth in “receiving votes” last week but a 2-0 week boosted the Vols to 3-0 on the season and into the polls.

Tennessee survived a first half scare against Murray State on Tuesday where the Vols trailed by double digits before using a 19-point Jordan Bowden second half to race past the Racers, 82-63.

Tennessee picked up its second win of the week in Toronto where the Vols led for the game’s final 37 minutes and cruised to 75-62 win over No. 20 Washington.

Tennessee is one of three ranked SEC teams in this week’s AP poll as Kentucky and Auburn remained in the top 25.

Kentucky dropped to No. 9 in the poll after being upset by Evansville, and Auburn came in at No. 19.

Tennessee returns to action Wednesday night as the Vols host Alabama State to Thompson-Boling Arena. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET and the game will be broadcast on SECN+.