Men's Basketball Sweet Sixteen vs. Purdue

#1, Lamonte Turner, warms up before the Sweet Sixteen game against Purdue University on Thursday March 28, 2019 at the KFC Yum! Center. 

The Tennessee men’s basketball team is getting a better idea of how their schedule will shape up for the 2019-20 season.

On Monday, the school announced that the Vols would be going international early on, traveling to Toronto to face the Washington Huskies in the James Naismith Classic on Nov. 16.

On Wednesday, the Southeastern Conference released it’s men’s basketball conference games as well. While specific dates and times will be determined at a later date, Tennessee now knows who they’ll face in intra-conference action.

While the Vols will play their three permanent foes in Kentucky, South Carolina and Vanderbilt twice, Tennessee will also play a home-and-home series versus both Arkansas and Auburn.

The Vols beat Arkansas at Thompson-Boling Arena on Jan. 15, 106-87, but dropped their regular season finale at Auburn, 80-49 on March 9, then again in the SEC Tournament Championship Game in Nashville.

Those five opponents will make up for 10 of Tennessee’s 18 conference games. The eight other teams that the Vols will play once in Knoxville is Florida, Texas A&M, LSU and Ole Miss while traveling to play at Alabama, Mississippi State, Georgia and Missouri.

Tennessee went a combined 9-1 versus those teams last season. Once again, the SEC is expected to be a gauntlet, with the Vols playing seven games against teams that finished in the top five of the conference in 2018-19.

The conference’s 15 NCAA Tournament team selections over the past two seasons are also second-most in the country. Six teams that Tennessee will face this season — Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi State, LSU, Ole Miss and Auburn — made the last NCAA Tournament.

So far, the Vols are scheduled to play Washington, Memphis, Wisconsin and Cincinnati as part of their non-conference lineup. Their exhibition opponent and regular season-opening opponent have yet to be announced.