Men's Basketball Sweet Sixteen vs. Purdue

#1, Lamonte Turner does the pre-game ritual dunk before the Sweet Sixteen game against Purdue University on Thursday March 28, 2019 at the KFC Yum! Center. 

The Tennessee men’s and women’s basketball teams will host fans at Thompson-Boling Arena on Oct. 4 for their annual “Rocky Top Tip-Off” event.

The event takes place just weeks before the two teams begin their respective seasons.

The Tennessee men’s team and head coach Rick Barnes are coming off of a Sweet Sixteen run in the 2019 NCAA Tournament. The Vols hit historic program highs during the 2018-19 regular season, including three weeks atop both the Associated Press and Coaches Polls.

Tennessee also appeared in the 2019 SEC Men’s Basketball Tournament final against Auburn, before ending their season in a Sweet Sixteen loss to Purdue at the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Kentucky.

As for the Lady Vols, Tennessee hired first-year head coach and former player Kellie Harper back in April after parting ways with former head coach Holly Warlick.

The 2018-19 season was one of the worst in program history for the Lady Vols, finishing with a 19-13 overall record and falling out of the first round of the NCAA Women’s Tournament with a 89-77 loss to UCLA.

Harper was hired away from Missouri State after taking the Lady Bears to the Sweet Sixteen in her sixth season at the helm.

The Vols tip-off their season in an exhibition game against Eastern New Mexico on Oct. 30, while the Lady Vols face Carson-Newman on Oct. 29 in an exhibition game of their own. Both contests will take place at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Rocky Top Tip-Off will begin at 6 p.m. and admission is free for fans. More details will be released at a later date.