Men's Basketball vs Georgia

Derrick Walker prior to game against Georgia Jan. 5, 2019 at Thompson-Boling Arena. 

Two weeks ago, Tennessee basketball power forward Derrick Walker entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal, with the intentions to leave the program after two seasons.

On Wednesday, Walker officially announced his landing spot.

Walker will spend the final two seasons of his college career in Lincoln, Nebraska, where he’ll play for first-year head coach Fred Hoidberg and the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

“Excited to announce that I will be continuing my journey at the University of Nebraska to play for Coach Hoidberg," Walker said in a Tweet. "Couldn’t be more excited to be a Husker!" 

Walker came to Knoxville by way of Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas City, Missouri, as part of Rick Barnes’ 2017 recruiting class. According to 247Sports composite, Walker was a three-star prospect and rated as the No. 2 power forward in Missouri. 

During the 2017-18 season, Walker managed to show a lot of promise in his freshman campaign, averaging more than eight minutes a game off of the bench to go along with 66 points. He appeared in 34 of Tennessee’s 35 games that year.

In a game at South Carolina that season, Walker went 5-of-5 from the floor while scoring a career-high 10 points in 25 minutes of action.

Walker seemingly took a step back his sophomore season, averaging just over five minutes of playing time and less than one point per game. In Tennessee’s postseason run that started in the SEC Tournament and ended in a Sweet Sixteen loss to Purdue, Walker tallied just two points and one assist.

While Walker will have the ability to appeal, it is likely that he will have to sit out the 2019-20 season at Nebraska.