Tennessee added its third, and perhaps most important, member to the 2020 basketball recruiting class in five-star guard Jaden Springer Friday.

Springer is rated as the 16th best player in the nation according to the industry wide 247sports composite rankings.

Springer took his official visit to Knoxville during the first weekend of October taking in the Vols’ preseason practice and the football game against Georgia.

Springer, a Charlotte, North Carolina native who attends IMG Academy in Florida, released a top five of North Carolina, Michigan, Memphis, Florida and Tennessee this summer. He later cut his list down to Michigan, Memphis and Tennessee — the three schools he took official visits to this fall.

With Springer’s commitment, Tennessee’s recruiting class is now ranked 4th in the country.

The Vols currently hold two other commits, one in the 23rd ranked player Keon Johnson and another in the 36th ranked player Corey Walker. Both Walker and Johnson joined Springer on his official visit to Knoxville over the weekend.

Walker, Springer and Johnson are all expected to sign in basketball’s early signing period which begins Nov. 13th.

Long removed are the days in Knoxville where Rick Barnes was nicknamed “Retirement Rick” due to his lack of success on the recruiting trail. Barnes has put together perhaps the most highly touted recruiting class in school history.

Tennessee currently has three open scholarships for next season but is expected to sign four players this fall due to attrition after the season. Look for Tennessee to pursue big men P.J. Hall and Dylan Cardwell.