UT v TA&M

Doubles team, Scott Jones and Andrew Rogers in their match against Texas A&M at Goodfriend Tennis Center on Mar. 23, 2018. 

Although the Tennessee men’s tennis team was split into two different tournaments almost 900 miles apart, they were successful as a whole, posting a 10-2 overall record at the Milwaukee Tennis Classic and the Gamecock Fall Invitational.

In Milwaukee, the Vols were led by a junior and a freshman in singles play. Tennessee junior Luca Wiedenmann picked up a pair of singles victories, defeating Nebraska’s Razvan Grigorescu in his first match and then he won his second singles match of the day against Robert Turzak from North Carolina State.

In his first match, Wiedenmann was able to defeat Grigorescu 6-2, 3-6, 6-1. He then was able to win in straight sets against Turzak 6-0, 6-2 to improve his record to 5-2 on the young season. With his two victories, Wiedenmann was able to advance to the quarterfinals of the Milwaukee Classic on Saturday.

The other Vol to have success in Milwaukee on Friday was freshman Pat Harper. He was able to defeat the No. 2 seed in the tournament, Paul Barretto, from California 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-4, to move on to the round of 16. Harper then was set to take on Henrik Koorsgaard from Virginia Tech, but the match was suspended in the second set due to darkness. The match will continue on Saturday with Harper leading 7-5, 3-3.

Tennessee’s Preston Touliatos and Andrew Rogers each fell in the round of 32. Both Touliatos and Rogers will play in the consolation bracket on Saturday.

While part of the Tennessee team was having success in Milwaukee, the rest of the team was having an even better day in Columbia, South Carolina at the Gamecock Invitational. The Volunteers went 7-0 as a whole, picking up six singles wins and adding another victory in doubles play.

In the lone event in doubles action, the team of Adam Walton and Scott Jones took care of South Carolina’s Lambling/Brown 8-2 in the opening round.

The pair of Volunteers that make up the doubles team both also had success in their singles matches.

Walton, the tournament’s top seed, took care of business through the first two rounds, defeating Jason Lapidus from Duke 6-1, 6-0, and then he won his second match 7-6(4), 6-0 over Diego Quiroz of Winthrop.

His doubles partner Scott Jones was also able to win two singles matches of his own. A junior from Perth, Australia, Jones defeated SMU’s Jan-Simon Vrbsky 6-2, 7-6(4), and then went on to defeat Brian Cernoch from North Carolina 6-4, 6-3.

The Vols’ day in Columbia was rounded out by freshman Sean Presson. The Knoxville native was able to defeat Elias Svensson from Presbyterian 6-4, 6-1, before finishing his day with another victory over Carlos Garcia in three sets, 6-7(3), 7-6(4), 6-3.

Both tournaments will continue through Sunday before the Vols come back together as a team on Monday.