First year head coach Brennan Webb and the Tennessee men’s golf team had the best start they could have ever imagined a couple of weeks ago, a season-opening win at Georgia Tech in the Carpet Capital Collegiate.

The Vols were able to carry that momentum into their second tournament of the season, the Inverness Intercollegiate in Toledo, Ohio.

Unfortunately for the Vols, their day came to an end a little early as the rain moved into Ohio. On the back nine of the second round, play was suspended due to heavy rains.

When play was called for the night, the Vols held a 10-stroke advantage over the 12-team field with every player inside of the top 25 of the individual leaderboard. Tennessee held a four-stroke lead over the field after the first round, and that play carried into the second round.

The fact that the team was able to play well despite the wet conditions came down to being able to get off to a good start.

“We got off to a solid start this morning,” Webb said. “So far in the second round during some wet and rainy conditions, everyone has been doing a good job of staying patient and not letting the weather get them out of their routines.”

Getting contributions from all seven golfers was key in the Vols having the lead at the end of the day.

“I think that is a continuation of the hard work that everyone has been putting in at home and the guys behind them pushing them,” Webb said.

While the whole team had success, the two that were left in the main competition for the individual crown was junior Hunter Wolcott and sophomore Tyler Johnson.

Wolcott is tied for second and one off of the lead at even par while Johnson is 2-over-par and in a tie for ninth overall. Both of these players were important to helping the Vols jump out to an early lead in day one with rounds of 70 and 71, respectively.

Junior Brayden Garrison had the individual lead after round one with a round of 68 (-3). Over the last 13 holes, Garrison had an unblemished scorecard, including four birdies.

Second round play is set to resume tomorrow morning at 8:30 a.m., with round three play set to begin at the conclusion of round two.