Lady Vols edge past Lady Hoosiers in battle of undefeated teams
FILE - Elizabeth Profit in her match at the Goodfriend Tennis Center vs UT Martin on Feb 2, 2018.

This weekend, the No. 20/21-ranked Tennessee women's tennis team will play two road matches against Big Ten teams from the state of Indiana.

The Lady Vols will begin their travels on Friday, when Tennessee faces off against the Purdue Boilermakers in West Lafeyette, Indiana. First serve in Schwartz Tennis Center is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET.

Two days later, the Lady Vols will continue their road trip when they meet the Indiana Hoosiers at the IU Tennis Center. First serve in Bloomington, Indiana is set for 11 a.m. ET.

"Purdue and Indiana are two teams that we know will fight from start to finish, so it will be good to get back on the court and compete," Tennessee head coach Alison Ojeda said. "We have used the last two weeks wisely and have been able to spend some quality time working on skills that are required to win a championship. We're excited to coach our squad this weekend."

This will be the Lady Vols’ first time out since playing in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend in Lawrence, Kansas two weeks ago. Tennessee split their matches, defeating the Jayhawks 4-2 in their first match, and losing to Virginia 3-4 in their second match.

The Lady Vols have experienced a lot of success against Purdue, currently holding a 18-0 record. Tennessee last played the Boilermakers in 2009, a match that the Lady Vols won 6-1.

Purdue has had a tough season so far this spring, sitting at 3-3. They won their first three matches at home in January, but they have struggled since that time. The Boilermakers lost their past three matches 0-4, 1-4 and 1-6.

Tennessee is also leading the series with Indiana, but they Hoosiers are competitive than their in-state rivals, with the Lady Vols leading 22-15. Tennessee has also won the past three and seven of the past ten times that the two teams have met on the court.

Indiana enters this weekend on a two-match win streak and sitting at 3-2 on the spring. The Hoosiers will visit the US Naval Academy on Friday before coming home for their Sunday match.

The Lady Vols had three different individuals find a place in the most recent rankings. Rebeka Mertena is the highest ranked Tennessee player at No. 38. Also ranked are Johanna Silver at No. 59 and Kaitlin Staines at No. 70. Additionally, Staines and Tenika McGriffin form the No. 11 ranked doubles pair.

Recently, SEC Women's Tennis Player of the Week honors went to the Lady Vols’ sophomore Mertena. The honor was the first for the 2020 season as well as Martena’s first career Player of the Week honors. Mertena has been crucial to Tennessee’s hot start to the 2020 season, winning all four of her singles matches.

Also undefeated this season is Carly Briggs. The freshman from Calhoun, Georgia has won all four matches in her college career, including the match that clinched the team match win over Kansas.

Both matches can be followed on Twitter at @Vol_WTennis and there will recaps on UTSports.com following each dual match.