Softball vs BYU

#8, Kaili Phillips, prepares to hit a ball during the game against Brigham Young University on Saturday March 16, 2019 at the Sherri Parker Lee Stadium. 

After getting shut out on Saturday night, the Lady Vols came back to Sherri Parker Lee stadium for an early pitch time on Sunday to face the Arkansas Razorbacks in the series rubber match. They looked to get the series win and a 2-1 record against Arkansas in 2019.

The No. 5 Tennessee softball team (26-5, 4-2 SEC) beat No. 15 Arkansas (22-9, 4-5 SEC) by a score of 5-2. Arkansas only gave up four hits and three earned runs to the Lady Vols on Sunday.

“We put the barrel on the ball today,” co-head coach Karen Weekly said.

Three Lady Vols combined for four hits on Sunday. Haley Bearden was the only player with multiple hits for Tennessee. She had a single and a two-run homerun in the bottom of the fifth in three at-bats against Arkansas. It was her ninth home run of the season and tenth for her career.

“I really have a lot of confidence this year which is really helpful,” Bearden said, “It is mostly mental. I have just stopped putting pressure on myself and have some fun.”

Bearden’s single came in the bottom of the fourth inning, with the Tennessee softball team trailing 1-0. Treasury Poindexter replaced her on the base path and would come around to score off an error later in the inning.

Jenna Holcomb came up to the plate in the bottom of the fifth inning with Aubrey Leach on base. Holcomb would knock the ball for a triple, sending Leach around to score and giving the Lady Vols a 2-1 lead. It is the third triple from Holcomb in 2019 and the fifth for her career.

The next at-bat, Chelsea Seggern singled to right field to send Holcomb home. Bearden’s home run came in the next at-bat to put the Lady Vols up 5-1.

The first run for the Lady Razorbacks came in the top of the third against starting pitcher Ashley Rogers. The run crossed the plate from third base after a sacrifice fly to the outfield.

Rogers was credited with three innings pitched, two hits given up, two walks and two strikeouts.

She found herself with runners on base in the all innings pitched, but surrendered only the sacrifice fly.

“She has great composure,” co-head coach Karen Weekly said, “That is one of the best traits about Ashley.”

In relief, the Lady Vols turned to Matty Moss for the third time this weekend. After Rogers had allowed a walk, Moss got the next hitter to fly out. The next at-bat for Arkansas would end the inning in a double play.

“It was a big momentum changer,” Moss said, “They hit the ball hard and our defense handled the play really well.”

On Sunday, Moss was credited with the win, giving her a 9-1 record for 2019. She pitched for four innings, gave up three hits, one run, one walk and recorded five strikeouts.

In three appearances this weekend, Moss was given 8.2 innings pitched, allowed only three hits, one run, three walks and struck out 15 batters. She had the win on Sunday and a save Friday.

“Matty has really bought in this year,” co-head coach Karen Weekly said, “She understands that you have to show something different each time.”

The Lady Vols have now won their first two SEC series in 2019. They will return to SEC action on Saturday against Missouri for three games in Columbia.