Womens Golf

Michaela Williams lines up for a swing at the Mercedes-Bens Collegiate Championship at the Cherokee Country Club in Knoxville, TN on Sept. 18, 2018.

The University of Tennessee women’s golf team placed seventh at the Clemson Invitational on Tuesday.

The Lady Vols were in the midst of a 6-under-par round before play was suspended indefinitely. Junior Micheala Williams held a three-stroke lead in the hunt for the individual title.

Scores reverted back to the scores that were logged at the end of the second round. Williams earned a tie for first place in the individual event with Auburn’s Julie McCarthy.

Tennessee placed behind four SEC opponents in Vanderbilt, Auburn, Texas A&M and LSU. Vanderbilt and Auburn tied for first place with scores of -21 (555) and -13 (563), respectively. Texas A&M placed fifth with a score of -1 (575) and LSU finished sixth with a final score of E (576).

Williams was 11-under-par for the tournament before the suspension of play.

"My game felt really solid this week,” Williams said. “I hit the driver well, I hit my wedges really close and made the birdie putts when I got the chance. Everything's feeling good and I'm excited to get started at SECs."

McCarthy captured the medal because she recorded the tournament’s lowest round that week, which was the tiebreaker.

Williams outplayed competition that had 16 of the top 100 golfers in the country, according to the most recent Golfstat rankings. Williams also finished in the top spot while competing in the Florida Gator Invitational this past March.

As a whole, Williams has earned six top-10 finished this season and has accomplished the feat for the third consecutive time this spring, both of which are team-bests. She currently has a stroke average of 70.46, as seven of her 13 rounds have been in the 60s.

Mariah Smith placed in the top-10 for the second time this spring by finishing seventh in the Clemson Invitational. Smith carded her second lowest score through 36 holes in her career, in-part due to her first round score of 68 (-4). She was participating as an individual this week after playing in the inaugural Augusta National Women’s Amateur.

Waverly Whiston finished tied for 18th after placing inside of the top 20 for the third time this spring. During the Florida Gator Invitational, Whiston again placed 18th and she also tied for second in the FAU Winter Warm Up.

This was the last regular season tournament for the Lady Vols. Next week, Tennessee will start postseason play by competing at the SEC Championships in Birmingham, Ala.

The tournament will be held at Greystone Legacy Course and the first three rounds of medal play will began on April 17 and conclude on April 19. Saturday will start the quarter finals and semifinals of match play with the championship match taking place on April 21.