Womens Golf

Michaela Williams lines up for a swing at the Mercedes-Bens Collegiate Championship at the Cherokee Country Club in Knoxville, TN on Sept. 18, 2018.

The Tennessee women’s golf team finished its tournament in San Antonio, Texas, in third place after carding the lowest score of Tuesday’s final round.

The Maryb S. Kauth Invitational was played at TPC San Antonio Canyons and the Lady Vols enjoyed a third-place finish, as well as three individuals finishing inside the top 10.

The low score among the Lady Vols was freshman Mikayla Bardwell, who carded a team-low 75 (+3) and finished eighth overall on the individual leaderboard. This is Bardwell’s latest top 10 finish, following her tie for a fourth place finish at the Starmount Classic in early October.

Bardwell has finished either first or second among her fellow Lady Vols in each of their tournaments this year.

Fellow freshman Malia Stovall finished in a tie for tenthplace in the tournament. This is Stovall’s second consecutive top 10 finish, following the win at the Starmount Classic.

Senior Ariana Macioce finished in tenth, shooting a 75 on her final round on Tuesday. This is her second consecutive top 10 finish, as she too found success in the Starmount Classic prior to the trip to San Antonio.

“We wanted to be able to play today to have a shot to make up some strokes on the lead,” head coach Judi Pavon said. “We knew pars would be good. We tried to play smart and make as many pars as possible.”

The Lady Vols have found success this season coming off their third-place finish in Maryb S. Kauth Invitational. Prior to this, Tennessee had just come off of a commanding 35 stroke win in the Starmount Classic.

TCU finished first, shooting +5 (581). Marshall finished second by shooting +12 (588) and Tennessee rounded out the top 3, shooting +13 (589), which was one stroke back of second place.

“We caught TCU with about 6 holes to go, but they finished their round well and we made lots of bogeys coming in,” Pavon said. “We are disappointed to finish third, especially since we had a good round going. We just need to learn and get better at not letting shots slip away at the end.”

Looking ahead, the Lady Vols will look to build on the success they have found already in the fall portion of their season, as they headed to Texas again in two weeks to play in the SMU Trinity Forest Invitational in Dallas.