Softball v. Texas

#17, Chelsea Seggern, slides into home during the game against Texas on March 15, 2019 against at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium. 

The No. 6/5 Lady Vols picked up their fourth loss of the season against No. 11/13 Texas in the final matchup of the Tennessee Invitational this weekend, with a final score of 2-0.

“Today was a kind of game that we felt was like a World Series type game,” co-head coach Ralph Weekly said. “The competition, two top-ten teams, we had not seen their pitcher before and, quite frankly, we had 12 ground ball outs and four strikeouts which took up 16 of the outs. We just didn’t do well offensively.”

Tennessee (23-4, 2-1 SEC) was able to win three of four games this weekend against BYU and Texas, beating BYU twice with scores of 14-2 on Thursday and 5-1 on Saturday. The Lady Vols beat Texas on Friday, 9-5.

Ashley Rogers was charged with her first loss on Sunday. However, she only gave up two unearned runs on three hits throughout the game, on top of throwing four strikeouts.

The beginning of the matchup was uneventful, with both teams remaining scoreless until the top of the third where Texas put its first run up.

The Longhorns scored their first run off an error by Tennessee’s shortstop and pushed in a run on an RBI single, bringing the score to 2-0 going into the fourth inning.

Despite not putting any runs on the board, Tennessee moved runners into scoring positions on multiple occasions. Runners made second and third during the first, third, fifth and seventh innings, but couldn’t make it home.

The Lady Vols made their first rally attempt in the bottom of the third when Aubrey Leach and Kaili Phillips advanced to second and third. These positions came to no avail when the runners were stranded on a groundout to the hot corner.

Chelsea Seggern got things rolling in the fifth inning when she singled up the middle before Phillips doubled to left field. Texas was able to shut down Tennessee’s hopes after an unassisted out prevented the Lady Vols from scratching a run across.

Seggern came back for Tennessee in the bottom of the seventh when she doubled towards right field with two outs. However, Seggern’s run wasn’t enough for the Lady Vols after a line drive to the Longhorn third baseman ended the game.

Up next for the Lady Vols are two midweek games starting on Tuesday in Lynchburg, Virginia, with a matchup against Liberty at 5:00 p.m. ET. Tennessee will then take on North Carolina in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, on Wednesday at 4:00 p.m. ET.