Softball vs. Virginia

#12, Caylan Arnold pitches against the University of Virginia on Monday Feb. 25, 2019 at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium.

The No. 7 Tennessee Lady Vols (18-3, 2-1 SEC) and the No. 4 Florida Lady Gators (22-4, 1-2 SEC) were tied heading into the bottom of the third inning in Gainesville, Florida on Sunday. Caylan Arnold was in the pitcher’s circle for the Lady Vols.

Kendyl Lindaman would hit a two-run home run to kick start the Lady Gator’s offense. Florida would go on to score two more runs in the next inning and end the game with an 8-0 run-rule effort.

Arnold was credited with the loss on Sunday, giving her a 7-2 record in 2019. She went three innings, gave up three hits, two earned runs and walked three. She did not record a strikeout against the Lady Gators’ lineup.

Matty Moss ended the game for the Lady Vols in the pitcher’s circle, but could not find any more success than Arnold on the afternoon. She was credited with 2.2 innings pitched, seven hits, five earned runs and struck out three against the Florida Lineup.

The Lady Vols were only credited with two hits on Sunday against Florida. Aubrey Leach was credited with a single and Ally Shipman had the only extra base hit, recording a double. Kaili Philips was the only Lady Vol to record a walk.

A big reason why the Lady Vols struggled on Sunday was the starting pitcher for the Lady Gators. Kelly Barnhill was credited with six innings pitched, two hits, one walk and 13 strikeouts. Her record is 13-2 in 2019 after Sunday. Ten Lady Vols went back to the dugout with strikeouts.

The Lady Gators would power in runs against the Lady Vols for the first time all weekend. Tennessee outscored Florida by a combined 12-1 score in the two games on Friday and Saturday. Florida would get two home runs hit by Amanda Lorenz, going for five RBIs on the day. The other run was driven in by Hannah Adams, who hit the ball for a double.

Tennessee had success against Florida on Friday and Saturday. Sunday was a different story, as the two hits were the lowest amount for the Lady Vols all season. They recorded three against James Madison earlier this season.

The Lady Vols will be back in action on Tuesday when they take on MTSU. It will be the only game between the two squads this season.