The University of Tennessee men’s golf team was able to finish the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate with a third place finish.

Although the end result was one that the team will be pleased with, the outcome did not look bright for most of the day. Tennessee entered the final nine holes fairly far behind, as they trailed the leaders by 10 strokes.

However, a late push from the Vols made for an exciting finish to the day.

The team was able to knock in a total of 14 birdies on the final nine holes, with 10 of those coming from junior Rhys Nevin and sophomore Spencer Cross. When asked about what started his late push, Nevin pointed to the beginning of the back nine.

“I took a big risk on the par-5 10th hole,” Nevin said. “I went for the green from 240 out of the rough and when that risk paid off, I was determined to go low that back nine.”

The Vols finished the tournament with a score of 29-under-par and were almost able to catch the eventual champions of the tournament, East Tennessee State (-32).

Nevin finished the final 10 holes of the round with no bogeys, as he tallied six birdies and four pars. He was also able to finish the day tied for sixth on the individual leaderboard at 10-under-par for the tournament.

Nevin was not the only Tennessee player who finished the tournament in the top 15. He was joined by teammates Tyler Johnson and Hunter Wolcott.

Johnson was able finish the final round with a score of 8-under-par to put him in a tie for 10th overall, while Wolcott ended the day with a score of 1-under, which put his total for the tournament at 7-under-par, good enough to finish in a tie for 12th on the individual leaderboard.

In the four fall tournaments on Tennessee’s schedule, they were able to post three top three finishes, which included a pair of victories at the Carpet Capital Collegiate and the Inverness Intercollegiate. When asked about this accomplishment, head coach Brennan Webb said it should set high expectations.

“Despite the disappointment from today, we would have definitely signed up for that,” Webb said. “They have bigger expectations for themselves and know they can compete with anyone in the country.”

The Vols will now be able to take a break until February, which is the beginning of the spring schedule for the team.

Their first tournament that they will take part in will be the Southwestern Invitational in Westlake Village, California.