Sophomore Nolan Ray and freshman Rhys Nevin stood out in their placings for the UT men’s golf team at the John Hayt Collegiate Invitational, held Friday through Sunday, Feb. 24-26, at Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida.

Nevin shot a 5-under 67 in the second round of play, which was tied for the lowest round of any golfer at the invitational. The freshman tapped in birdies on four different holes on the final day and was 1-under before making the turn to the back nine.

He would finish the final round at 3-over and placed ninth in the tournament.

As an individual competitor, Ray tied for 14th after scoring a 4-under 68 on Sunday, the best round of the sophomore’s collegiate career and the lowest score on the tournament’s final day. He gained momentum on Sunday when he knocked in birdies on holes No. 5, No. 6, No. 11, No. 14 and No. 15.

The Volunteers as a team finished eighth with 21-over 885 final tally.

The University of North Florida won the tournament with a total score of 7-over 871. Jacksonville University finished in second place.

Other top Tennessee showings featured senior Juan Carlos Serrano, junior Lorenzo Scalise and freshman Jake Meenhorst, all of whom finished in the top 40.

Serrano shot 1-over on Friday and Sunday, but struggled in a 4-over outing on Saturday for a 6-over finish. Scalise shot 4-over and 3-over on the first and final days of the tournament but racked in an even-par finish on the second day of the tournament to finish 7-over.

Meenhorst shot even-par and 1-over on the first two days before slipping on the final day and shooting a 7-over 79, finishing tied for 37th at 8-over.

Another Volunteer, Jack Smith, finished tied for 68th after shooting 75 on the first day and consecutive 80’s on the final two days.

For the individuals, Army’s Peter Kim finished with the lowest overall score of a 6-under 210 on all three days, including shooting 4-under on Saturday and 2-under on Sunday.

Tennessee’s next event is the Desert Mountain Intercollegiate in Scottsdale, Arizona, hosted by the University of Michigan.