Staff Report: SPORTS

With spring play nearing its close, the Tennessee men’s golf team is attempting to make some noise throughout the final weeks of regular season play.

Bolstered by the play of senior Lorenzo Scalise, the Vols claimed a sixth-place finish at the 3M Augusta Invitational on Sunday.

Notching his third consecutive top-five performance, Scalise finished second individually, one stroke behind first-place Dylan Meyer of Illinois. Scalise finished the tournament 10-under (69-69-68—206).

Three sophomores also put together strong outputs for the Vols, who were expecting to bounce back following a disappointing finish at the John Hayt Invitational.

Brayden Garrison contributed the third-highest score, carding a five-over-par (79-69-73) and tying for 43rd place overall.

Jake Meenhorst wasn’t far behind, finishing six-over-par (72-72-76—222) and claiming the 47th individual spot.

Sean Wilcox recorded a score of 17-over (77-76-80—233), good for 71st place, and Rhys Nevis gave Tennessee its second-best individual performance, shooting three-under (67-73-73—213).

The 12th place tie marked Nevis's best performance since Oct. 3 at the Jackrabbit, including his highest totals in strokes and placement since then.

As a team, Tennessee finished the tournament at 4-under (285-285-290—860), edging out conference foe and the seventh place South Carolina Gamecocks, who finished at 2-under.

The 16th-ranked Fighting Illini of Illinois took home the tournament title with an overall score of 25-under (280-284-725—839) throughout three complete rounds.

Houston and Wake Forest both tied for second place after shooting 10-under each while South Carolina-Aiken and Kennesaw State rounded out the top five after tying for fourth place.

Augusta, the Tournament’s host, brought home a 12th-place finish.

The sixth-place finish marks the Vols best output since the Southwestern Invitational on Feb. 27, which saw Tennessee take home third place.

It also marked the fifth time in the last six tournaments that Scalise recorded a top-five finish as an individual.

While the Vols have not taken home a first-place finish this year, they have finished top six in three of their last five tournaments.

Since Feb. 5, the Vols have placed outside of the top 10 just twice following a three-month period without organized play.

Next up, the Vols will participate in the Yale Spring Invitational, which is set for April 14 in New Haven, Connecticut.

That will be the last tournament they partake in before the SEC Tournament, which is slated to begin on April 25 in Sea Island, Georgia.