In a head-to-head matchup last Sunday, Feb. 26, the Volunteers women’s golf team traveled to Auburn University to take on the Tigers in the Auburn vs. Tennessee Challenge.

The 36-hole course did not favor Tennessee as the Tigers beat the Vols by a score of 16-over to 25-over.

The Vols struggled to keep up with Auburn in the first round after carding a 16-over, compared to the Tigers’ 4-over. Tennessee somewhat rebounded in the second round with a 9-over-297, while Auburn scored a 12-over 300.

“The first round was a struggle for most of the team,”Judi Pavon, head coach of the Vols, said. “We had several good rounds the second 18 holes and closed the gap on Auburn a little bit.”

Although the Volunteers could not bring home a win, the roster’s individual success was evident. Senior Hannah Pietila, junior Blakesly Warren and junior Anna Newell were all ranked in the top five of the challenge.

Warren shot 2-over and finished third, the best collegiate finish of her career. She is currently the 98th-ranked player in the country.

Pietila shot a 5-over 149 and finished fourth, while Newell shot 7-over to finish fifth.

Freshman Micheala Williams proved herself to be a rising star in the program with a second top-10 finish, and rounds consisting of 78 and 77. Williams is ranked 91st in the country by Golfweek.

Senior Teleri Hughes, competing as an individual, had an eagle on the par-5 16th hole in the second round of the tournament but finished 14-over. Senior Emmie Pietila also had a decent showing, scoring 81 in each round to finish 18-over.

Rounding up the back, sophomore Alison Herring and sophomore Shannon Brooks each scored 20-over 164 and were tied for 13th.

The Vols will travel to Hilton Head, South Carolina for the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate on March 3-5.