Brennan Webb

Tennessee head mens golf coach Brennan Webb speaks with the media on Sept. 26, 2018.

The Tennessee men’s golf team finished second at the Inverness Collegiate Tournament in Toledo, Ohio on Tuesday.

“We were disappointed we didn’t win, but it was a very special round that beat us” Tennessee head coach Brennan Webb said. “I was very proud that the guys fought all day today after a slow start and without their best stuff.”

Junior Spencer Cross finished inside the top 15 of the event, individually. In the opening round, Cross shot just 76 (+5) but came back with a strong finish with a card round of 69 (-2) in his second round on Monday.

Cross followed up that performance with his second round of par or better in a row, notching a 71 (E) to complete the individual part of the tournament. On Tuesday, he started the day off with a birdie on the par -4 second and was par or better for the remainder of the round, including four birdies on his scoreboard.

Thanks to Cross’ performance in that round, he tied as the top Tennessee player on the leaderboard at No. 11 individually.

Also in that No. 11 spot was fellow Vol senior Rhys Nevin, who has been Tennessee’s top finisher in their first two tournament appearances this season.

Rhys tied for fourth at the Carpet Capital Tournament earlier this month.

“The strength of our team is in our depth,” Webb said. “Anyone that is in our lineup is capable of leading on any given week.”

Trailing by just one stroke behind both Nevin and Cross was redshirt junior Chip Thomas. Thomas tallied his first top-20 finish for the Vols at a 4-over-par for the tournament.

Following a 74 (+2) in the opening round, Thomas responded with 71-72 to finish the tournament.

Tennessee will return to the green on Oct. 6-8 at the Intercollegiate at the Grove event in College Grove, Tennessee. The tournament will be hosted by Middle Tennessee State University.

“The Grove is a fantastic golf course and will be a test for our guys,” Webb said. “It is forgiving off the tee, but has some difficult complexes.”

Here are the final scores from the Inverness Intercollegiate:

Team

1 Texas Tech  +4 (856)

Tennessee  +12 (864)

3 Notre Dame  +13 (865)

T4 LSU  +20 (872)

T4 Michigan State  +20 (872)

6 Ohio State  +24 (876)

7 Auburn  +25 (877)

8 Kent State  +28 (880)

9 Michigan  +31 (883)

T10 Missouri  +37 (889)

T10 St. Mary's (CA)  +37 (889)

12 Toledo  +46 (898)

13 UNCW  +58 (910)

T14 Northern Illinois  +64 (916)

T14 Kennesaw State  +71 (923)

Tennessee Team

Rhys Nevin T11  216 (+3)

Spencer Cross T11  216 (+3)

Chip Thomas  T17  217 (+4)

Brayden Garrison  T27  220 (+7)

Hunter Wolcott T40  223 (+10)

Tennessee Individual 

Sean Wilcox T35  222 (+9)