Brennan Webb

Tennessee head mens golf coach Brennan Webb speaks with the media on Sept. 26, 2018.

The Tennessee men’s golf team won its third team title of the season on Monday, carding the lowest final round score en route to an 11-over-par (875) score in the Hayt Collegiate Invitational.

Despite poor weather conditions, Tennessee won the title by 13 strokes and tied the school record for team titles in a season, equaling the three won by the 2001-02 team and the 2004-05 team. North Carolina and Louisville tied for second place at 24-over-par.

“You learn the most about a team and the individuals that make it up when going through adversity,” head coach Brennan Webb said. “For these guys to bounce back after last week makes this the most satisfying victory I have been a part of.”

Junior Hunter Wolcott won the individual title.

The Vols also had the lowest score in the second round. Ten of the top 50 teams in the country were competing in the event, including No. 9 Auburn, No. 17 North Florida, No. 19 Clemson, No. 21 Alabama and No. 22 Louisville.

“Anytime you can get a win against this quality of field is great,” Webb said. “To have it happen at this time of year is also a bonus. We’re looking forward to carrying the momentum into postseason.”

In a field featuring 13 of the top 100 players in the country, Wolcott had the lowest second round and lowest third round in the event. He won the title with a 54-hole score of 211 (-5).

“It feels amazing, and not only were there great players in the field, but the conditions were really tough,” Wolcott said. “To get the win and our team get the win as well, it just shows the work we have all been putting in and the mindset we had this week.”

Wolcott’s 5-under-par score was two strokes off his lowest collegiate mark.

“It was apparent soon after I met Hunter this summer that he was incredibly talented,” Webb said. “He has set an incredible standard for the team with his leadership and work ethic this year and has meant as much to this program and any success we have had as anyone.

“This victory was just a matter of time and it certainly won’t be the last.”

Junior Brayden Garrison also finished in the top 10, carding a 1-over-par final round score en route to a fifth place finish.

Overall, Tennessee had five players finish in the top 25 on the individual leaderboard. Sophomore Spencer Cross tied for 19th, redshirt sophomore tied for 21st and redshirt junior Nolan Ray came in 25th.

“Coach Webb and Coach Bo did a great job the night before helping us with a game plan that would put us in the best position possible to make as many pars as possible because a par today was great on any hole,” Wolcott said. “Then a putt drops here or there and next thing you know they add up to a great round.”

Tennessee competes in the Mason Rudolph Collegiate from April 5-7. The event is hosted by Vanderbilt in Franklin, Tenn.