The men’s golf team finished the weekend 16-over to finish right in the middle of the pack of the 23-team field at The University of Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate at the Classic Club course.

The front end of the Volunteers lineup held its own, but the final day didn’t bode well for the Vols.

Lorenzo Scalise, the team’s senior leader, finished three strokes under for the weekend, tying for 18th place. Two out of his three rounds on the weekend finished under par, something Scalise has become accustomed to achieving.

The 18th place finish is the 17th top-20 finish for Scalise in his career.

Sophomore Brayden Garrison shot three-over for the weekend and finished 44th. Sean Wilcox, a freshman, shot a five-over and finished in a tie for 53rd.

Continuing his red-hot start to his career, freshman Chase Roswall played as an individual for the Volunteers this weekend. Roswall shot a five-under final round, ending the weekend at even par. The round on Sunday was a career best for Roswall, something he looks to improve on as his impact on the golf course continues to grow.

The No. 15 nationally-ranked California Golden Bears were the winners of the weekend, shooting 63 shots better than the Volunteers and a whopping 20 strokes ahead of second place for the weekend, No. 12-ranked Texas Tech.

The 12th place finish allowed head coach Jim Kelson to inch closer to reaching a historical number. Kelson’s record at Tennessee is now 1,996-1,389-55, giving him a great chance at surpassing 2,000 wins.

The Volunteers will aim to rebound this weekend at the North Ranch Country Club at the Southwestern Invitational in Westlake Village, California, another tournament filled with tough competition.

The tournament will be the Volunteers' second trip to the West Coast in just as many weeks.