Staff Report: SPORTS

Following a strong performance over the weekend, senior Lorenzo Scalise has been honored for his work.

Scalise, a Milan, Italy native, was named the SEC Men’s Golfer of the Week on Wednesday for his performance at the 3M Augusta Invitational on Sunday. He became the first Tennessee golfer to achieve the honor since 2015 and is also coming off of a bid to the international team for the Arnold Palmer Cup in France over the summer.

His second-place finish at the invitational on Sunday was his fifth top-five finish individually in the Vols’ last six tournaments. It was also the seventh of his career.

Scalise paced the Vols by finishing one stroke away from first with a 10-under score (206), including rounds that featured marks of 69, 69 and 68. He played every round of the tournament under par.

Scalise’s effort included 34 pars and 15 birdies. He has recorded the Vols’ top finish in every spring tournament for Tennessee this year.

He currently ranks No. 22 in Golfweek’s Collegiate Men’s Rankings, while his stroke average of 70.21 is the best in Tennessee history and is currently eighth in the SEC. He has played 20 of 24 rounds at par this year, with 13 of 15 coming out of the spring schedule.

Scalise’s weekend performance helped lead the Vols to a sixth place finish at the 3M Augusta Invitational, with Tennessee besting seventh-place South Carolina by two strokes.

Tennessee will travel to New Haven, Connecticut on April 14 for the Yale Spring Invitational. The action will be the Vols’ final before the beginning of SEC Tournament play, which is slated to start on April 25 and run until April 29 and will take place in Sea Island, Georgia.