Womens Golf

Michaela Williams lines up for a swing at the Mercedes-Bens Collegiate Championship at the Cherokee Country Club in Knoxville, TN on Sept. 18, 2018.

The No. 28 Tennessee women’s golf team will start their 2019 season at the challenging Cougar Classic in Charleston, South Carolina on Monday.

Joining the Lady Vols are 18 teams, five of which hail from the Southeastern Conference. There will also be six teams that are currently ranked in the WGCA Top-20. Tennessee also received votes in the same poll.

The Lady Vols are coming off of their 14th appearance in the NCAA Women’s Golf Tournament last season, as well as the 12th of the head coach Judi Pavon era.

Tennessee’s returning roster is highlighted by senior Micheala Williams and sophomore Mikayla Bardwell. Both players earned conference honors in 2018. Williams was named to the All-SEC team while Bardwell made the All-SEC Freshman team after a successful campaign last season.

Williams was tops in nearly every statistical category last season for the Lady Vols, including a 73.14 scoring average, the fourth lowest average in program history.

Tennessee will enter the regular season with national recognition in most polls, including their No. 28 billing in the Golfweek Preseason Top-30 Poll, while also receiving votes in the WGCA Poll.

The Lady Vols’ first round is set for an early start on Monday at 8:45 a.m. at Yeaman’s Hall. Tennessee will go up against SEC foe Auburn and Florida State and will tee it off between holes No. 9 and No. 12.

The tournament is scheduled to run through Tuesday, Sept. 10 in Charleston.