Brennan Webb

Tennessee head mens golf coach Brennan Webb speaks with the media on Sept. 26, 2018.

The Tennessee golf team got off to a hot start this fall with wins in the Inverness Intercollegiate and the Carpet Capital Collegiate.

However, the Vols came back to earth on Monday, finishing eighth at the Maridoe Intercollegiate. Tennessee finished the week in Texas in eighth place out of 14 teams.

The Vols had their best round of the tournament during Monday’s final round, carding a third round score of 294, which was good for three strokes better than their second round. SMU won the tournament at 21-over-par, Texas A&M finished in second at 35-over-par, and North Texas rounded out the top three at 41-over-par.

Tennessee finished in eighth at 58-over-par. This week was the first setback of the Brennan Webb era in Knoxville, but the Vols are not overly worried about this weekend’s results.

“After the grind of playing this golf course all week, we are anxious to get to Johnson City and put this one behind us,” Webb, Tennessee’s first year head coach, said. “I am not sure we will take much from this week other than a couple things to work on if we ever play a course like this again.”

Juniors Rhys Nevin and Hunter Wolcott led the Vols in the event, with each player shooting 16-over-par during the 54-hole event. Their performance was good enough to tie for 30th overall on the week.

Brayden Garrison shot the Vols' lowest round of the week on Monday, putting together an even-par round that included three birdies. The Nolensville, Tenn. native has been a consistent player for the Vols all fall, finishing eighth in the Carpet Capital Collegiate last month before finishing tied for 41st this week.

Tyler Johnson turned in his best round of the weekend on Monday, shooting 2-over-par. The Middle Tennessee State University transfer posted a 20-over-par week, tying for 47th in the event.

The Vols’ 58-over-par week kept them just nine strokes outside of the top five.

Tennessee will look to bounce back this week as they close out the fall season with a trip to Johnson City this weekend.

“We’re excited to end the fall season in Johnson City,” Webb said. “We are looking forward to seeing a lot of friends of Vol golf.”

The Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate gets underway on Friday in Johnson City and will conclude on Sunday.