Staff Report: SPORTS

Three Lady Vol golfers competed this weekend at the Bobby Nichols Intercollegiate, and all three placed in the top-six in the tournament field.

Freshman Clarksville native Mariah Smith had her two best career rounds in the first two rounds of the tournament. Smith wasted no time, as she shot an even par 71 in her first round of action. That was her stingiest round, but she followed that up with a 73 (+2) in the second round, which was good enough to keep her near the top of the leaderboard when it came to the final round.

In Smith’s final round, she didn’t shoot as well as the others, carding a 78 (+7).

Despite her slow finish, she still had a strong enough performance to finish in a tie for third place—one stroke back of second place.

Junior Haley Wagner also had a great start, shooting +3 heading into the final round. She led the field with an impressive five-under on par fives throughout the tournament.

Like Smith, Wagner ended the tournament with her worse round, shooting a 79 (+8). She ended her performance tied for sixth place, her best finish as a Vol.

Junior Allison Hearing also had a career best day, but her performance was a complete reverse of her two teammates. Hearing saved her best for last, shooting a 72 (+1) in the final round, finishing with her own top-six finish. She made 5 birdies on Sunday, something that got her coach's attention.

"Allison played great today," Assistant Coach Luis Pavon said. "She made five birdies after starting with two bogeys and hung in there for a nice 72.”

The tournament featured golfers from Belmont University and Carson-Newman University, among others.

With two more tournaments before SEC play is slated to begin, the Lady Volunteers will look to keep the good rounds going at the Clemson Invitational this weekend in South Carolina.