Football vs. Kentucky

Jordan Murphy, #11, runs the ball during game against Kentucky on Nov. 10, 2018 at Neyland Stadium.

The Tennessee football team will be down two players on both sides of the ball when they take on BYU on Saturday.

Junior wide receiver Jordan Murphy and redshirt sophomore defensive back Terrell Bailey announced their intentions to leave the program on Tuesday.

Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt confirmed the report on the SEC head coaches teleconference that morning.

Bailey came to Knoxville as a three-star prospect out of John Ehret High School (New Orleans) as part of former head coach Butch Jones’ 2017 recruiting class.

After red-shirting his freshman season, Bailey appeared in nine games for the Vols in 2018 as a reserve outside linebacker. He also recorded six tackles and five solo stops on special teams.

Bailey did not appear in the game against Georgia State last Saturday. Murphy was also a part of the 2017 signing class, playing in seven games his freshman season and recording one reception for 12 yards versus Southern Mississippi on Nov. 4, 2017.

Last season, Murphy played in ten games for Tennessee, tallying 11 catches for 155 yards and a touchdown.

He was expected to play a part in the Vols’ talented receiving corps in 2019. After sitting out of the Georgia State opener due to an illness, Murphy tweeted a joke about the Vols loss on his Twitter account that was later deleted on Monday.

Pruitt did not state the reason why both players left but did say that it was their decision to do so.