Football vs. Kentucky

Josh Palmer, #84, holds back Marquez Callaway, #1, after a Tennessee touchdown during game against Kentucky on Nov. 10, 2018 at Neyland Stadium.

Three Tennessee football players were named to the 2019 Preseason Coaches All-SEC Team on Thursday.

Senior wide receiver Marquez Callaway lead the group by landing on the second-team as a return specialist. In 2018, Callaway returned one punt for a score and tallied over 160 yards in punt returns last season.

Callaway also averaged 13.4 yards per return, the highest among active players in the FBS. In addition to his punt return for a touchdown last season, Callaway has scored one other time as a return specialist in his career. He has totaled close to 400 yards as a returner over the least three seasons.

Joining Callaway were fellow seniors Darrell Taylor and Nigel Warrior, who were both named third-team selections.

Taylor is expected to be one of the bigger impact players for Tennessee this season after a successful showing in 2018. Last season, the senior linebacker recorded eight sacks, the most of any returning player in the SEC. His four sacks versus Kentucky last November earned him SEC Player of the Week honors

Overall in his collegiate career, Taylor has 11 sacks, and over 15 tackles for loss, as well as five forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. He was named to three 2019 preseason award watch lists, including the Chuck Bednarik Award, Bronco Nagurski Award and the Butkus Award.

Keeping it on the defensive side of the ball, Nigel Warrior is heading into his third season as the Vols starting safety. During his career, Warrior has accumulated 169 tackles in more than 36-career games. Warrior finished 13th in the conference in 2017 with 83 stops and three forced fumbles.