Vols vs Indiana - Tax Slayer Bowl
Assistant coaches for the Volunteers after the victory at the 2020 Tax Slayer Bowl game.

Tennessee football has lost three staffers today. Defensive line coach Tracy Rocker and director of player personnel Drew Hughes are headed to South Carolina to join Will Muschamp’s staff for the Gamecocks as confirmed by The Athletic’s David Ubben. Additionally, multiple sources have reported that co-defensive coordinator and outside linebackers’ coach Chris Rumph, is leaving for a job with the Houston Texans.

Rocker, whose departure was first reported by Volquest, has been with the Vols for three seasons coaching the defensive line during his entire tenure on Rocky Top and is set to coach the same position at South Carolina.

Rocker had previously coached defensive line for Ole Miss, Auburn, Georgia and the Tennessee Titans. Rocker’s son Kumar is a highly touted sophomore pitcher for the Vanderbilt baseball team after helping lead the Commodores to the national championship last year.

Hughes, whose departure was broken by GoVols247, has been with the Vols for the past two seasons, after serving in the same role for the prior four years for the Gators. While at Florida and Tennessee, Hughes managed the recruiting departments, a role he will likely continue in Columbia, South Carolina.

Rumph, has spent the past season as the co-defensive coordinator for the Vols. Rumph has previously coached at Clemson, Alabama, Texas and Florida, coaching various positions on the defensive side of the ball. It is not known what position he will fill for the Texans.

These vacant positions follow the exit of running backs’ coach David Johnson and Linebackers’ coach Kevin Sherrer, who both found jobs elsewhere earlier in the offseason. It is yet to be seen what effect this much staff turnover will have on Tennessee who seemed to have some momentum at the end of last season for coach Jeremy Pruitt’s third season.