Football vs. UTEP

Tennessee Head Football coach Jeremy Pruitt at the Vol Walk prior to game against UTEP on Sept. 15, 2018.

If Tennessee football head coach Jeremy Pruitt doesn’t want to make the same mistake of missing out on in-state talent like previous coaching staffs, he’s off to a good start.

Less than a week after landing Knoxville Cathloic, 4-star offensive lineman Cooper Mays, the Vols got even more good news with the commitment 2020 defensive back Keshawn Lawrence on Monday.

Lawrence, a 6-foot-1, 195-pound safety out of the Ensworth School in Nashville, is rated as a 4-star prospect and the No. 2 rated player in the state of Tennessee.

At Ensworth, Lawrence is a two-way player, seeing action on both sides of the ball, both as a defender and skill player. During his 2018 junior season, Lawrence tallied more than 760 yards and 15 touchdowns on offense while recording 15 tackles and an interception on defense.

Further proving his versatility, Lawrence also added a punt return for a score on his resume last season.

As for Tennessee’s 2020 class, the Vols’ move up to No. 24 in 247Sports recruiting rankings and No. 10 in the SEC.

In addition to his Tennessee offer, Lawrence also held offers from Miami, LSU, Alabama, South Carolina, Auburn and Clemson. The Vols beat out the Hurricanes, who made a late push for Lawrence’s services.

Lawrence joins four-star safety Antonio Johnson, four-star JUCO cornerback Art Green and three-star cornerback Lovie Jenskins as the defensive backs in the 2020 class.