Football vs Missouri

Head football coach communicates with players during game against Missouri on Nov. 17, 2018 at Neyland Stadium.

One of Jeremy Pruitt's assistant coaches is reportedly no longer with the program, with another coach already mentioned as his replacement.

Cornerbacks coach and Tennessee alum Terry Fair was relieved of his duties by Pruitt on Friday, according to multiple reports. Volquest reported that Fair was offered an off-field job with the program but didn't take it.

According to other reports, Pruitt is expected to hire Derrick Ansley of the NFL's Oakland Raiders to replace Fair. Ansley could also be tabbed as the program's co-defensive coordinator, sources told 247Sports.

Ansley served as Tennessee's cornerbacks coach in 2012 and also spent time on staffs at Kentucky and Alabama, where he worked with Pruitt. During his time with the Vols, Tennessee's defense moved up 28 spots in total interceptions compared to the previous season.

He played collegiately at Troy and began his coaching career at Huntingdon College in Alabama. He had two separate stints at Alabama, serving as a graduate assistant from from 2010-2011 and as defensive backs coach from 2016-2017. 

2018 was Fair's first season on Tennessee's staff, joining the Vols after a three-year stint coaching defense backs at Colorado State. He served as a graduate assistant at Tennessee from 2013-2014 before being hired by Colorado State.

Fair played at Tennessee from 1994 to 1997, garnering All-SEC honors in 1996 and 1997. He was also named to the All-Freshman team following the 1994 season.

Fair spent time as a player with the Detroit Lions, Carolina Panthers, Pittsburgh Steelers and then-St. Louis Rams before joining the coaching staff at Phoenix College in Arizona and working in radio in Knoxville.

Tennessee fielded a young corps of cornerbacks this season, but then-freshman Bryce Thompson garnered Freshman All-American honors. Rising senior Baylen Buchanan and rising sophomore Alontae Taylor also saw significant time at the position this past season.

Fair's reported departure is the third change on Tennessee's staff this offseason. Former offensive coordinator Tyson Helton left to become Western Kentucky's head coach and was replaced by Jim Chaney, and former safeties coach and special teams coordinator Charles Kelly joined Alabama's staff. Tee Martin was recently hired as an offensive assistant as well.