UT receives NCAA’s Notice of Allegations

Lane Kiffin waits to lead the team on the field before a game against South Carolina on Saturday, Oct. 31, 2009. Former head coach Kiffin was one of the main targets of a 26 page NCAA Notice of Allegations received by the university on Tuesday, Feb. 22.

It has been nearly a decade since Lane Kiffin spurned the Tennessee football program for USC in the middle night after just one season back in 2009.

Still, the 44-year old Florida Atlantic head coach has since managed to stay in the headlines, mostly for his Twitter antics, which has sometimes been directed at Vol fans. 

A late-night report on Friday, on the eve of his FAU team's appearance in the Conference USA Championship Game, put Kiffin back in the headlines again, connecting him with a current SEC head coaching vacancy.

According to FootballScoop.com, Kiffin has a deal in place to become the next head coach at Ole Miss, replacing former head coach Matt Luke who was fired last week after three seasons in Oxford.

The FootballScoop report states that Kiffin sat down with representatives from both Ole Miss and Arkansas earlier this week.

Arkansas also fired head coach Chad Morris before the end of his second season last month.

An official announcement from Ole Miss is expected on the Sunday following FAU's Conference USA Championship Game versus UAB.

Kiffin's return to the SEC won't only raise eyebrows in Knoxville as Kiffin also spent four seasons as an offensive coordinator at Alabama under head coach Nick Saban.

Kiffin helped the Crimson Tide to an SEC and national championship in 2015 while rehabilitating his coaching image behind Alabama's offensive success.

In three seasons at FAU, Kiffin has lead the Owls to a 25-13 mark, with an 18-6 record in Conference USA play. 

After a 7-6 season at Tennessee in 2009, Kiffin was hired away by Southern Cal where he was ultimately fired before the end of his fourth season in 2013.

You can expect a lot of storylines when Tennessee welcomes Kiffin and his Rebels team back to Knoxville in 2021 at Neyland Stadium.