Football vs. Kentucky

Nigel Warrior, #18, pumps up the crowd during game against Kentucky on Nov. 10, 2018 at Neyland Stadium.

In the days leading up to their non-conference match-up with Tennessee-Chattanooga, Tennessee football head coach Jeremy Pruitt challenged his defense to produce more turnovers.

Evidently, they listened.

The Tennessee defense tallied six takeaways in the 45-0 win, five of which were off of interceptions, including one from senior defensive back Nigel Warrior in the first quarter.

The performance was enough for the College Park, Georgia native to be named to the Pro Football Focus’ College National Team of the Week for week three of college football.

The interception, which was returned deep into Chattanooga territory, set up a 12-yard touchdown pass from redshirt junior quarterback Jarrett Guarantano to senior wide receiver Jauan Jennings to put Tennessee up 21-0.

In addition to his interception, Warrior picked up two tackles in the game, as well.

The shutout win was the second in Pruitt’s two-year career with the Vols. They had previously beaten Texas-El Paso 24-0 in Pruitt’s first season in 2018.

Tennessee heads to Gainesville to take on No. 9 Florida on Saturday in their SEC opener. The game is slated for a noon kickoff on ESPN.