Staff Report: SPORTS

It wasn’t what Anna Newell was hoping for. 

The senior from Tampa, Fla., competed with her Tennessee women’s golf teammates at the SEC Championships in Birmingham, Ala., from Wednesday through Friday. The Lady Vols finished the tournament at 12th place, totaling a score of 918 on 54 holes.

“Overall for the tournament, I could have played a lot better and the team could have played a lot better so it's disappointing to end on a sour note for my last SECs,” Newell said. “I think we had some nerves going on in the morning. We're so close to playing some good golf and I know it's bound to happen.” 

Junior Ariana Macioce notched Tennessee’s top performance at the tournament, finishing tied for 27th place with a score line of 79-74-75 (228). Newell was second for the Lady Vols, tied at 31st with a score line of 77-78-74 (229). 

Sophomore Michaela Williams, freshman Waverly Whiston and senior Blakesly Warren rounded out Tennessee’s performances, ending the tournament tied for 49th, tied for 52nd and tied for 61st, respectively. 

The three-day action wasn’t entirely negative for Newell, though. She saw an improvement on her play and was particularly fond of certain aspects of her performance. 

“Today I improved on my score from the first two days,” Newell said on Friday. “I had a lot of up and downs today, a lot of bunker shots, but my short game was there and that kind of saved me. I'm pretty happy with my game today even though I didn't hit as many greens as I wanted to give myself some birdie chances for a round under par.” 

South Carolina placed first in the tournament’s initial three days. Alabama and Arkansas trailed at second and third place, respectively. The top eight teams continued to compete on Saturday, with South Carolina and Arkansas advancing to Sunday’s final round.  

South Carolina’s Ainhoa Olarra was named the individual SEC Champion after shooting 7-under.