Football Preview

Emmanuel Moseley, #12, tackles a member of the Ohio Bobcats offense on Sep. 17, 2016.

When Super Bowl LIV kicks off in Miami, there will be former Tennessee football players on both sidelines.

Dustin Colquitt is the starting punter for the Kansas City Chiefs, and Emmanuel Moseley, a backup cornerback, is the Vols’ representative on the San Francisco 49ers.

Also, there will be an additional three players and a coach who hail from the state of Tennessee.

Colquitt is a native of Knoxville who attended Bearden High School, where he played soccer as well as football. Both his father Craig and uncle Jimmy, as well his younger brother Britton all played as a punter for the Vols.

Colquitt’s father has previously played in the big game, winning both his appearances in Super Bowl XIII and XIV with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Younger brother Britton has also earned a championship ring, winning Super Bowl 50 as a member of the Denver Broncos.

While playing from 2001 to 2004 at Tennessee, Dustin was named to the All-SEC first team both his junior and senior seasons. Additionally, during his junior season Colquitt was a consensus first-team All-American.

During Colquitt’s four seasons, the Vols had a combined record of 39-13, won a share of three SEC East titles, including two SEC Championship Game berths, and won two bowl games, including the Citrus Bowl his freshman year.

At Super Bowl LIV Opening night, on Monday, Colquitt spoke fondly of his time on Rocky Top.

“I miss that place, the mountains.” Colquitt said “We did a lot of hanging out, a lot of fishing on the river, the Tennessee River that cuts through. Obviously, Neyland Stadium is a special place. I was born and raised there. And I miss it. A lot of great Vols that have played in Super Bowls and a lot of greats who haven’t, so I’m fortunate to play here.”

Moseley attended James B. Dudley High School in Greensboro, North Carolina, were he also played basketball in addition to being a two-way starter at quarterback and cornerback. In his final year in high school, Moseley led his team to a 15-0 record and a Class 4A state title.

During the undefeated campaign, Moseley had roughly 1,400 yards in both passing and rushing at quarterback. At cornerback, Moseley finished with 28 tackles and four interceptions.

Moseley played in all 51 games during his years on campus, starting 31 times. During his sophomore season, his first season as a starter, Moseley led Tennessee in pass breakups.

Mosely’s four-year tenure coincided with a mediocre time for Tennessee, the team holding a 29-22 record. The Vols did however manage a perfect record in the three mid-tier bowl that they attended during that time frame.

Moseley shared how his college experience prepared him for his life in the pros.

“Tennessee, you know, is a huge college platform.” Moseley said “You can play in (the SEC); you can play in the NFL. It’s basically like baby brother of the NFL. And then you be [sic] here. You dream about this as a child.”

Also representing the state of Tennessee will be four individuals. On the Chiefs, Darron Lee is a linebacker from Chattanooga, who attended Ohio State, where he won a national championship in 2014.

Also, from Chattanooga is 49ers’ defensive backs coach Daniel Bullocks, who played four years in the NFL before retiring to become a coach. The 49ers will have two Nashville area natives with C.J. Beathard from Franklin and Hendersonville native Jalen Hurd, but Hurd, who spent 3 years as a Vol before transferring to Baylor, will not play as he is currently on the injured reserve.

Beathard, who played his college ball at Iowa, is the son of songwriter Casey Beathard and grandson of Pro Football Hall of Fame executive Bobby Beathard, as well as the older brother of country music singer Tucker Beathard.

Super LIV will kick off this Sunday, Feb. 2 at 6:30 p.m. on FOX.