Veterans, newcomers pace track and field ahead of weekend meets

Christian Coleman during the Tennessee Relays at Tom Black track on April 7, 2017.

On Wednesday, Tennessee track and field junior Christian Coleman was named the USTFCCCA National Outdoor Runner of the Year by the coaches association.

Last weekend, Coleman earned the honors in the NCAA Outdoor Championship, which saw him win the 100m and 200m titles and set a collegiate record in the 100m in the prelims by running a 9.82.

The achievement adds to the phenomenal year that Coleman has already put together.

Coleman is now the second person in NCAA history to win four sprint national championships as he added his two outdoor titles to his indoor sweep of the 60m and 200m National Championships. VFL Justin Gatlin is the only other person to achieve that feat.

Most notably from the weekend was Coleman setting the collegiate record in the 100m with a time of 9.82 seconds. That placed him fourth in American history and was also the ninth fastest time of all time in the world. 

The Outdoor Runner of the Year adds to the collection that Coleman has put together this season. He's also won the SEC Outdoor Runner of the Year, the National Indoor Runner of the Year, Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame Amateur Athlete of the Year and earned the SEC Commissioner’s Trophy.

Going forward, Coleman will be headed to Sacramento, California next week to participate in the USATF Championship. This meet is held June 22-25 and will determine which Americans will be headed to London for the 2017 World Championship.