Softball vs. Texas
#11, Haley Bearden runs to first base during the game against Texas on March 15, 2019 against at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium. 

With two grand slams accompanying a no-hitter, the Tennessee softball team dominated ETSU, 11-0, on Tuesday night.

This victory is Tennessee’s 97th consecutive win against the Buccaneers. Haley Bearden tallied two grand slams in the win.

Tennessee started Ashley Rogers on the mound, but eventually brought in Matty Moss. Both players delivered the fifth combined no-hitter in Tennessee history.

Rogers threw 3.0 innings, where she allowed only one hitter to reach base from a walk and shutout the rest. She was able to strike out eight of 10 batters she faced, and out of her 43 pitches, 30 were strikes. Rogers in now 16-2 for the season.

Moss came in to relieve Rogers in the fourth inning, throwing 19 pitches to finish the game.

The Lady Vols took an early lead in the first with three consecutive walks and a fielder’s choice from Kaili Philips that scored Aubrey Leach from third.

Leach walked four times, tying and then breaking the program record for career walks with 155 free passes in her career.

Tennessee continued to push hard in the third when it took a 5-0 lead after Bearden hit her first career grand slam to left field.

Bearden is now the only Lady Vol in program history to hit two grand-slam within one game. She is also the first since Lauren Gibson in 2013 to record eight RBIs in a single outing.

Going into the fourth, Tennessee’s Savannah Huffstetler reached on an error and Amanda Ayala was brought in to pinch run. Ayala was able to steal second and later score on Chelsea Seggern’s bases-loaded walk.

Bearden came back for more in the fourth, as she hit yet another grand slam beyond the outfield wall. This hit extended Tennessee’s lead to 10-0.

“We love to see Haley swing the bat like we know she can,” co-head coach Karen Weekly said. “Two grand slams is a pretty phenomenal feat. It’s big to get one grand slam, but two in one game is remarkable.”

The Lady Vols’ final run came from Madison Pacini’s RBI-single towards right field that scored Huffstetler from second, ending the game with an 11-0 final.

The Lady Vols will face off against Georgia next in a three-game SEC series taking place from April 19-21.