Vols Baseball vs Charlotte

Tennessee opened up the Round Rock Classic against the nation's top team in Texas Tech and defeated them, 6-2, at Dell Diamond. Tennessee improves to 5-0 on the season while Texas Tech falls to 4-1. Chad Dallas (2-0) was the winning pitcher, Clayton Beeter (1-1) took the loss, and Sean Hunley earned his second save of the season. 

Tennessee hit three home runs in the game, including two in the first inning, and have increased its season total to 11 homers in the young season. 

Zach Daniels continued to provide the offensive spark for Tennessee. Daniels hit an inside-the-park home run to put the first tally on the board in the bottom of the first. He also crossed home plate after hitting a double in the later innings. Overall, the Vols DH went 2-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored. 

Daniels inside-the-park homerun was the first by a Tennessee player since Benito Santiago on April 23, 2016 against Vanderbilt. 

Jordan Beck drove in the final two runs of the first after hitting a two-run homer, helping Tennessee to take a 3-0 lead early.

The last home run hit by Tennessee was driven by Jake Rucker. The third basemen hit a towering shot to left center field to make the game 4-1, Tennessee.

Tennessee has hit multiple home runs in all five of their games so far this season. 

Runs four and five came courtesy of Liam Spence and Evan Russell who recorded a double and sacrifice fly, respectively. 

Clayton Beeter, Texas Tech’s starter, went four innings, giving up five hits, four runs and all were earned. He only walked three and struck out eight. John McMillon and Kurt Wilson were the next two other pitchers for Texas Tech. They combined for four innings, three hits, two runs, two walks, and four strikeouts. 

Dallas pitched for five innings and gave up five hits, two runs and both were earned. The righty walked just two batters while striking out eight, which is a new career-best. 

Righty Sean Hunley came into the game out of the bullpen to pitch the final four innings for the Vols. During that time, the junior gave up one hit, two walks and struck out five. 

Texas Tech came into the tournament scoring 16.3 runs per game, which is ranked No. 1 in the nation. 

Tennessee will continue play tomorrow at 3 p.m. against Houston. The Cougars defeated Stanford, 11-4, in their first game in the Round Rock Classic.