Tennessee vs. Missouri

#1 Alerick Soularie catches a ball during a game against Missouri on Saturday, May 4. 

Tennessee baseball junior Alerick Soularie was recently named to the preseason All-SEC First Team which was announced on Thursday by the league’s office.

This honor adds to the list of preseason awards that Soularie has picked up prior to the season as he has already been named a preseason All-American by D1Baseball, Baseball America, and Perfect Game. He is also listed as the No. 58 MLB draft prospect per Baseball America in their January rankings. 

The Houston native spent his freshman season at San Jacinto College where he ranked ninth in the NJCAA in triples with eight. He also finished the season with an astounding .402 batting average and a .745 slugging percentage. After his freshman season, Soularie decided to transfer to the University of Tennessee where he has flourished into a solid draft prospect for the MLB Draft following this season.

In his sophomore season, and his first at UT, Soularie hit .357, drove in 46 runs, and drew 37 walks. He also finished the season with a 0.975 fielding percentage with three outfield assists.

Soularie looks to build on his numbers from his sophomore campaign on his way to cementing himself as a solid early round pick in the 2020 MLB Draft.  He also looks to be a leader for the Vols as they hope to make it past the regional stage for the first time since 2005, when they made it all the way to Omaha.

Tennessee’s season will start on Feb. 14 when the Volunteers host the Western Illinois Leathernecks. First pitch will be at 4:30 P.M. EST and can be viewed on WatchESPN.