Vols Baseball vs George Washington

The Tennessee Volunteers took on the Longwood Lancers on a beautiful Tuesday night. The Lancers entered the game at 3-9 and were no match for the Vols’ offense as Tennessee won its 13th straight game taking down Longwood 28-2.

Here’s a few takeaways from today’s game:

Base Knocks and Walks

Tennessee racked up 19 hits and 18 walks on Tuesday night to help the Vols score a whopping 28 runs, just six shy of the program record of 34. Tennessee was led by right fielder Jordan Beck who went 3-6 on the night bringing in three runs and scoring two himself.

“We sensed this was an athletic group, but we didn’t necessarily see this power prior to the season,” head coach Tony Vitello said postgame. “These guys are definitely stronger than last year.  Our workouts are great, not just from coach (Quentin Eberhardt), but also from the way these guys attack it.”

The offense hit two home runs, six doubles, and one triple in the game, but another thing Tennessee did very well was just move the runners over. The team seemingly wasn’t trying to do too much, it was just trying to keep the attack going and it did that very well racking up 10 base knocks to pour on the most runs the Vols have scored since 2004.

Pitching Shines Once Again

One of the nation’s best staffs showed up once again as they tossed nine innings giving up just two runs and five total hits while striking 14 batters. One of the most impressive stats of the night is that while the opposition walked 18 batters, Tennessee only walked one man all game.

Christian Delashmit came in for the third and fourth innings after Mark McLaughlin pitched the first two. Delashmit picked up his second win of the year to improve to 2-0. He gave up just one hit in his outing and struck out four as he led the way for the Vols’ bullpen in the win.

Zach Daniels Continues to Shine

The junior outfielder came into the season as a guy who had struggled in his career, but had a lot of potential. Last year, Daniels seemed to either hit the ball a mile or record an out, but not this year. This year he has shown his greatly improved ability to get base knocks as he went 2-4 today with four runs scored, four RBI, and two walks.

“I’ve been in the cage a lot with coach (Josh) Elander,” junior Zach Daniels said after the win. “He’s been throwing me a lot of breaking balls, we work a lot with the curveball machine. It’s built up a lot of confidence so I just know the work that I have put in is going to pay off.”

Daniels has kept a .381 batting average while also hitting .500 with runners in scoring position. He has emerged as a leader for this young squad and has been producing like one as he has been a pivotal part of the surging Tennessee offense. Probably the most interesting stat in his line is that Daniels has picked up 16 hits on the season and has driven in just as many runs while scoring 17 runs himself. For almost every hit that Daniels records, the Vols are able to put two runs on the board as he has done an excellent job getting on base and showing off his wheels on the basepath. 

Up Next

Tennessee will look to continue its win streak as the Vols will host Wright State for a three game series beginning on Friday at 6:30 p.m. ET and can be viewed on watchESPN.