Baseball vs. Ole Miss

#27, Garrett Stallings prepares to pitch the ball during the game against Ole Miss on Thursday, May 16, 2019.

Four different Tennessee players were drafted Tuesday on the second day of the MLB Draft. Pitchers Garrett Stallings, Zach Linginfelter and Andrew Schultz, as well as third basemen Andre Lipcius were selected in varying rounds.

Lipcius was drafted by the Detroit Tigers with the 83rd overall pick. Lipcius turned in a strong junior campaign which saw him hit 17 home runs, good for second best in the SEC. Lipcius, a Williamsburg, VA. native, hit .308 this season with 58 RBIs.

Stallings was the second Vol drafted, joining the Los Angeles Angels in the 5th round.

Stallings had a breakout junior year for the Vols as he ascended to the ace of the Vols’ pitching rotation. The right-hander turned in a 3.33 ERA while striking out 106 batters.

Hard-throwing righty Schultz was drafted in the sixth round by the Philadelphia Phillies. Schultz wowed scouts with his fastball that touched 100 mph this year, but struggled with his command and walked 22 batters in his 25 innings pitched. Schultz ended the year with a 3.24 ERA while recording 39 strikeouts.

Linginfelter was the final Vol to be drafted and was selected in the ninth round by the Angels. Linginfelter enjoyed a strong start to his junior campaign, but struggled down the stretch including giving up four first-inning runs in the Vols’ season ending loss to North Carolina.

Linginfelter ended the season with a 6-6 record and a 5.64 ERA.

Each prospect will have until July 15 to sign with their prospective team or to return to Tennessee.