Baseball vs Lipscomb

#45, Chase Silseth pitches during the game against the Lipscomb Bisons on Tuesday April 9, 2019.

Arkansas pulled off the series sweep of the Volunteers on Sunday 4-3, thanks to a strong pitching performance from Connor Noland and some late game magic. After the first two games of the series saw high scoring offensive battles, Sunday’s finale proved to be a pitcher’s duel.

Arkansas struck first as Jack Kenley, a Germantown, Tennessee native, took a 1-2 pitch opposite field for a solo homer. The lefties solo homer marked his ninth of the season and gave the Razorbacks a 1-0 lead in the second.

Zach Linginfelter’s day ended in the fifth inning after loading the bases thanks to a pair of infield singles and a walk. Redmond Walsh came into the game with one-out and hit the first batter he saw allowing a Razorback runner to score.

Walsh got Dominic Fletcher to ground into a 4-6-3 double play to end the inning and limit the Razorbacks to just one run.

Linginfelter ended the day with 4.1 innings pitched giving up two earner runs and five walks, while walking two and striking out nine.

Tennessee finally broke up Noland’s no-hit bid in the sixth inning when Jake Rucker led off the inning with a single. Landon Gray bunted Rucker over to second giving the Vols a runner in-scoring position.

After Jay Charleston lined out for the second out of the inning, Justin Ammons pinch hit grounding one to second for what appeared to be an inning ending groundout.

However, the groundout got away from Kenley allowing Ammons to reach base safely and for Rucker to score from second.

Nolan’s day ended after seven innings as the freshman turned in an excellent performance giving up two hits, one run, no earned runs, and one walk while striking out 10.

Tennessee finally found success in the eighth inning off of a pair of Razorback relievers. Rucker opened the inning with a hit off Marshall Denton, but the right hander retired the next two Volunteer batters and Arkansas went to LH[ Matt Cronin against Ammons and the junior singled up the middle tying the game.

After Ammons stole second Andre Lipcius took a 0-2 pitch opposite field for a RBI single giving the Vols their first lead of the night.

Tennessee took the lead into the ninth inning where Arkansas nine hitter Christian Franklin took a 2-1 pitch over the right field wall evening the game at three.

After Walsh retired, the next three batters the game went to extra innings, Tennessee’s second of the year.

Walsh stayed in the game in the tenth and due to a hit batter and infield single, Arkansas had runners on first and second with one-out. After picking up the second out on a groundout, Casey Opitz lined one down the left field line scoring the winning run and securing a 4-3 win.

Redmond Walsh received his first loss of the season as the redshirt sophomore pitched a career high 5.1 innings allowing two run on four hits