swim/dive story

Liam Stone during the SEC Championships men's 3m diving finals at Allan Jones Aquatic Center on Feb. 16, 2017.

The Volunteer's swimming and diving team wrapped up the NCAA Men’s Swimming and Diving Championships this past weekend at IU Natatorium.

The Volunteers had a solid showing, with career records in the 1,650-yard freestyle and their best time in the 400 freestyle team relay. Both impressive individuality and teamwork led the team to place of 20th in the championships.

Tennessee’s 55-point scoring performance this past weekend helped continue their team streak of five consecutive years of landing within the top 20. Texas went on to win the event outright with a scoring total of 542 points, almost 200 points higher than second-place California’s 349 points.

Potentially the best showing Tennessee had to offer last weekend was junior diver Liam Stone. Stone did not compete on the last day, but on day one was able to grab a fourth-place finish in two events. Stone was named first-team All-American for his stellar performances in the 1-meter and 3-meter.

Stone attributed to 30 of the Vols’ 55 points.

While the team had great standing, specific individuality helped lead the Vols to their placement.

Four total Volunteers swam at their best level, working together to land seasonal bests in the 400 relay with a time of 2:52:41. Top swimmers in the 400 relay consisted of sophomores Kyle DeCoursey and Joey Reilman, junior Ryan Coetzee and senior Austin Hirstein. DeCoursey also ended up placing 17th in the preliminaries in the 100 freestyle with a time of 42.61.

Another four Volunteers competed in the 1,650 freestyle with freshman Marc Hinawi taking the highest finish by a Tennessee swimmer as he finished with a score of 14:54:63 to finish 21st overall. That time ranked as the third-best time in UT history. Swimming close behind Hinawi, junior Sam McHugh finished with a career best at 14:55:79 to finish 22nd.

Two other Vols placed in the 1,650 freestyle. Freshman Taylor Abbott finished 27th with a time of 15:00:75, and junior David Heron finished two spots behind him at 29th with a time of 15:03:47.