“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” — Franklin D. Roosevelt

In our current political and economic reality, the rules don’t work for the vast majority of people.

Today’s bleak and dire prospects include growing income inequality, rampant privatization, decreasing worker power, the threat of climate change and the shrinking of the middle class.

Ordinary people all over the United States hunger for the change, hope and optimism of progressive policies to fix a system that does not work in the interests of the public good.

But it’s not enough to just hope for change.

We have to be the change.

And that’s where we come in.

Here at Roosevelt at UTK we believe that who writes the rules matters.

It’s simply not enough to stand by and hope for change to come one day from our currently elected leaders.

We have to be the answers.

We believe that young progressive leaders not only should have a voice, but also should have the ability to rewrite the rules so that everyone can participate in our society and live good lives to the best of their ability.

We believe that change is possible and that change always starts at the grass roots level.

We believe that coalitions of ordinary citizens from all walks of life coming together to create a future that works for everyone is not only possible, but can actually become a reality.

Roosevelt at UTK is dedicated to Eleanor and Franklin D. Roosevelt’s progressive vision of creating a better world for everyone, not just the privileged few.

To accomplish this we must foster the next generation of diverse, progressive thinkers and doers dedicated to creating a future that works for everyone.

We hope that you take up our progressive vision and join us as we work to create a more fair, just and equitable society.

Who writes the rules?

We do.

Jay Hearn is a senior studying political science and can be reached at jhearn3@vols.utk.edu.