Gov. Phil Bredesen and Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn will be here in Knoxville tomorrow to talk about their differences. I think it’s really important that everyone pay close attention to what they’re saying and how they’re saying it. 

I watched the last debate a couple weeks ago. And I’ve got to tell you, that debate made my choice on Nov. 6 a whole lot easier.

Congresswoman Blackburn kept saying that she is for “Tennessee values,” but I definitely didn’t see any of my values represented up there. Phil gave straightforward, practical answers, while Marsha was full of empty attacks. I don’t think this upcoming debate will be too different. 

However, this time around, I’ll looking for Gov. Bredesen to talk a bit more about his plan to use the TVA to extend rural broadband internet throughout the state. East Tennessee has some of the worst broadband connectivity; with this plan, East Tennessee could soon lead our entire region in broadband development. We have the resources to do this, and it’s something Tennesseans desperately need. 

It’s pretty clear that Gov. Bredesen knows how to get things done. He doesn’t let partisanship get in the way and knows that Tennesseans deserve results from their leaders in Washington. That’s why I’m supporting Phil Bredesen for U.S. Senate and I hope you’ll join me.