Spring sports offer something unique when compared to football and basketball in the wide variety of options for fans to choose from. In the fall, football dominates fans’ attention and the same is true for basketball in the winter. Spring sports come at a time when many have been stuck inside for the prior months and are looking to spend time outside, and the springs sports selection has something for everyone.

And just as the flowers are blossoming this spring, so are the Vols and Lady Vols. The baseball team is off to a red-hot start, and while the softball team has lost a few games to tough opposition, the Lady Vols look to have a solid team. Elsewhere on campus, both tennis teams and the track team are poised for great seasons. Also based in their new clubhouse along the river, the two golf teams are striving to return to NCAA regionals for the second year in row.

In this issue, our fantastic team of sports writers have produced a number of interesting stories which cover the many sports at this university. I personally had the pleasure of talking to Vols baseball legend Rick Honeycutt who has spent nearly half a century as a player and coach in Major League Baseball. I also hope you enjoy my feature on the golf teams and the renewed commitment to golf that this university had made as part of a larger, more all-around commitment to other sports on this campus.

I hope you all enjoy the upcoming spring season!

Sincerely,

Matthew Ryan Crews

Ryan Schumpert, Sports Editor

Spring sports don’t provide the same energy and excitement that football and basketball brings, but we could be in for an exciting spring season of sports on Rocky Top. The baseball team is off to an exciting start in Tony Vitello’s third season in Knoxville. The Vols are ranked in the top 20 and will host four top 25 opponents to Lindsey Nelson Stadium.

Tennessee has national championship contenders in track and field, men's tennis and women’s swim and dive, who just won the program’s first SEC title. Both golf teams, women’s tennis and softball should have strong teams that will compete at a high level in the SEC.

In this special issue we dive into baseball’s hot start, examine some of softball’s early season struggles and have features on the golf and tennis program.

I hope you enjoy this special edition of the Beacon and enjoy an exciting spring of sports on Rocky Top. We’ll have full coverage of Vols’ and Lady Vols’ sports throughout the spring.

Thanks for reading,

Ryan Schumpert