Grey Mangan

Bong Joon Ho, and the entire cast and crew of “Parasite,” stunned at the Oscars last night, bagging four statues for the South Korean smash hit that redefined the thriller flick and breathed fresh air into the genre. If you haven’t seen this fantastic film, I implore you to take the time to watch it uninterrupted.

It’s amazing, and I could not sing its praises higher if I tried. It made history last night by becoming the first Best Picture award winning film to not be in the English language. The highest of congratulations are in order for the entire creative team of “Parasite.”

“Parasite” and its success has left me hopeful for the future of film, hopeful that the greater American film market will socially begin to accept international films (especially those not in the English language).

When we view more diverse media, we can begin to craft a foundation for understanding and social change. It’s crucial for the United States film market to diversify if it intends to live on for the next few decades, especially with the amazing proliferation of film that has come as a direct result of digital streaming services.

As for me, I don’t care much if those traditional Hollywood cinema mindsets fade away to the sands of time. In fact, it’d be good to see. With the award season rejection of Quentin Tarantino’s “Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood” (save Brad Pitt’s Supporting Actor award), I can only hope that this means we begin to leave behind the egotistic and nostalgic circlejerk of a Hollywood glorified by white men lacking in inspiration.

Bong Joon Ho himself said it best in his acceptance speech at the Golden Globes, “Once you overcome the one-inch barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films.” I implore you all to not only be more conscious of the media you watch, but to actively include international films in your vocabulary of media. It will at least make you cooler to talk to at parties.

Grey Mangan is a junior majoring in cinema studies. He can be reached at emangan1@vols.utk.edu.