esports (copy)

As a “Super Smash Brothers: Ultimate” tournament organizer for the Knoxville region, there are many different things that I need to be able to do and organize when I start to create an event. How your event is organized or run can be a defining factor for your community’s growth as a home for esports, so detailed planning for events is almost always necessary.

Fortunately for tournament organizers today, there are numerous bracket-creation websites that allow users to create and run their very own brackets and tournaments with ease. Websites like smash.gg and Challonge are just a few options that allow tournament organizers to begin their events. The size, location and types of events being run at your tournament are some of the primary factors that should be considered when creating an event page, and these websites provide easy-to-use tools for making the page attractive.

Schedule creation, event fees and required materials for an event are also important aspects of an esports event that are often overlooked. Knowing exactly when your tournament needs to start, which events to start with, entry cost per game and how many gaming setups or consoles you may need for your event is hugely important.

A lot of this can seem cumbersome initially, but providing players with all of this information on the home page of your event’s webpage can be an attractive aspect of your tournament for players. Creating an organized event page with information answering most questions a competitor may have can be challenging, but research and asking questions yourself as a tournament organizer can help you gather the information you need.

Along with research and event page creation, finding extra staff for your event can go a long way towards improving your tournament.

If a tournament organizer is expecting a number above 20 entrants, recruiting staff that can run brackets, manage streams or answer questions will help ensure tournament organizers are not overloaded at their events. Finding knowledgeable and helpful players in the community that can help run tournaments with you will make things much easier and make your competitors much happier and more likely to come back to your next event.

The last major aspect of tournament creation that many people overlook is the advertisement of an event. Advertisement for your event doesn’t mean you have to spend hundreds of dollars to get a sign or an advertisement spot on a large stream, but it does mean that you need to get word out.

Social media like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Discord can all be great tools for messaging large amounts of people in the gaming community about your event. Start by finding the community that might be interested in the event you are hosting, and start communication with them, because a large amount of interest in your tournament will almost always start in community pages and forums.

In general, organizing an esports event and tournament is not as monumental a task as you’d think, but it is an important job that requires research and dedication. Being informed and asking questions will help you tremendously in the creation of the perfect page for your esports event that will surely have competitors signing up in droves.

UTK Esports is a student organization at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, interested in competing in and promoting collegiate and professional esports. If you have questions or would like to join and compete, please reach out to us at esports@utk.edu, or follow us on Twitter @utkesports.