Joshua Henninger

If I could describe Soccer Taco in one word, it would be “Goal!” To keep going with the soccer comparison, Soccer Taco will give you 90 minutes of excellence. Located in the heart of Market Square, it is accessible to virtually every UT student. I can say with 100% certainty that it is worth at least one visit.

A staple of every Mexican restaurant is chips and salsa. You could say it sets the tone of your meal. It is always the first thing you try when you go to a Mexican restaurant, and first impressions are everything. The same could be said of the queso or bean dip depending on which one you prefer or choose to order.

The salsa from Soccer Taco is some of the best salsa I have ever had. In fact, I would say that out of all the Mexican restaurants I have gone to in Knoxville, they are the best. It is pretty mild in terms of spice, but there is just enough to give you a little kick. The flavor of the salsa is such a refreshing blend of ingredients. It feels very light when you eat it, but it still manages to pack a ton of flavor in every bite. The salsa might leave you full by the time you get your entree because it is so good.

Soccer Taco has a wealth of options when it comes to entrees.

I always go for Arroz con Pollo or ACP when I go to a Mexican restaurant, but they have many other excellent options. They have all kinds of fajitas, burritos and, of course, tacos with an abundance of different meats to choose from — chicken, beef, steak or shrimp. You name it, they have it. I have heard great things about their tacos, and in my opinion, you can never go wrong with Mexican style tacos.

My ACP was perfect. They take the simple combination of chicken, rice and cheese and make it into a splendid dish. The chicken was a little small, but that does not take away from the taste at all. The rice was cooked to perfection, and then adding the melted cheese just takes the whole meal over the top. They even provide tortillas with the ACP for free, so you can create little soft tacos. That is always my favorite part of the meal. Stuffing the soft tortillas with the chicken, rice and cheese is simply delicious.

The atmosphere at Soccer Taco is very laid back as well. I came in on my own and was very comfortable at a table for two. Free chips and salsa are provided with every meal, which never hurts the appeal of the restaurant. The staff was very courteous and brought my food out in a very short time. They have a bar area for watching sports or anything else on TV if you prefer that. They also have multiple types of seating such as high tables, low tables and booths.

The price was a little hefty in terms of daily expenses. The ACP was $10 giving me a total of about $12 with the tip. I would definitely say that the price is worth it though, when you consider the quality of the food. It is definitely something you want to keep your eye on. If you consider ordering appetizers such as queso, your total could slowly creep up into the $20 range.

Overall, Soccer Taco is a spot that I would recommend for any UT student. Whether it be the ACP or the Mexican style tacos, they have something excellent for everyone to enjoy on their menu. There is no doubt in my mind, Soccer Taco slaps for sure.

Joshua Henninger is a freshman majoring in supply chain management. He can be reached at jhennin5@vols.utk.edu.