Joshua Henninger

Just as Stephen Curry delivers excellence every time he steps on the court, Jai Dee manages to do this with their own curry. Situated right next to Gus’s Good Times Deli on Melrose Place, Jai Dee offers exquisite Thai and Japanese cuisine.

Jai Dee has a vast array of different meals to choose from — everything from curry, as mentioned earlier, to sushi. They have a wide variety of enticing appetizer options from avocado salad to fried wontons or tofu. The premier offering is the Thai menu, which hosts all of the curry options.

You can choose which meat you would like in your curry from a variety of options, such as chicken, beef, pork or tofu. They even offer a spicing scale from 1-5 if you choose to get a curry that is spicy. There are 24 different variations of their curry to choose from.

The menu is relatively affordable for the average college student. It may not be feasible to go to Jai Dee every night for lunch or dinner, but it may be worth it depending on the person, because the food is so good.

It is $7.95 for the lunch special and $9.95 for the dinner special if you order the curry. The sushi is around $5-7 and comes as 6-8 pieces, and the Japanese combo specials are anywhere from $10 and up, and they typically include a combination of rolls and some kind of fish.

I ordered the Panang Curry with chicken when I went, and I got the dinner option for $9.95 before tax. The Panang Curry has carrots, peas and bell peppers with white rice. There is an option to get brown or fried rice for $2 more, but I think the white rice is perfect.

Being the daredevil I am, I chose to get the hottest option at a 5. The curry was absolutely delicious and even better with the rice. The broth was very spicy, but not unbearable. I could still taste all of the spices inside of the curry and the vegetables with the spiciness. The chicken was perfect as well. It was cooked to the point of being very tender and juicy. Overall the curry was elite.

The restaurant was very clean and I had no problems with the customer service either. I ordered ahead so I could just come by and pick it up on my way home, and I had no issues whatsoever. Another huge plus that I must point out is the lack of a Coke Freestyle machine. Those machines are a terrible thing and ruin the quality of every soda they dispense.

As a whole, Jai Dee is a restaurant that slaps for sure. Considering its location and convenience, it is a place that I will frequently come back to. It is definitely a place that I would recommend every UT student pay a visit to. There are so many options and all of them are good, so there is no reason to not give the place a try.

Joshua Henninger is a freshman majoring in supply chain management. He can be reached atjhennin5@vols.utk.edu.