Immorality is defined as “conflicting with generally or traditionally held moral principles” or bad, unethical, nefarious, wicked or wrong. 

Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer and other prominent Democrats have described the President’s proposal for border security and a border wall as “immoral,” yet their records of support for such a proposal would suggest otherwise.

It appears that most Democrats have rejected President Trump’s ideas on implementing a barrier on our borders for no other reason than to score cheap political points with their constituents. It is worth noting the fact that many of these same Democrats seem to have flipped their views completely from just a few years ago.

In 2006, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and Chuck Schumer along with 23 other Democrats all voted in support of the “Secure Fence Act.” This piece of legislation was designed to, “Make our borders more secure and is an important step towards immigration reform.”

In 2006, Obama also stated, “Better fences and better security along our borders would help stem some of the tide of illegal immigration in this country.”

In 2013, all 52 Democrats voted in favor of The Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act. Schumer sponsored the bill in the Senate, and it contains a section which reads as such: “Directs the Secretary to enhance border infrastructure by: constructing additional Border Patrol stations in the Southwest border region, upgrading and establishing additional Border Patrol operating bases."

This bill died in a previous Congress because it never made it to the House of Representatives before the 113th Congress ended. But had it been enacted into law, it would have added 700 miles of pedestrian fencing (some sections were to be double-and triple-layered) along the border, allocated 46 billion dollars to border security improvements, and doubled the number of patrol agents on the U.S.-Mexico border. Senator Joe Manchin, a Democrat from West Virginia, even praised this bill for those very provisions.

Today, these are the same politicians who have differing opinions against President Trump’s policies, and it appears to be little more than a bid to lower his overall rating despite having nearly identical views a few years ago.

It is simply a fact that many on the left who were in Congress voted in favor of securing our borders before President Trump was elected into office. Now it is a little too convenient and easy for the Democrats to be against President Trump’s border wall simply because the Republicans are in favor of it.

It is unfortunate that border security and the safety of our country is no longer a bipartisan issue. The push-back seems to be nothing more than a political play to make President Trump look bad and hurt his chances of re-election.

The next time you hear Democrats in Congress complaining about the cost, rationality or morality for border security, remember that not too long ago, both Republicans and Democrats wanted a barrier.

So, I say let’s build it.

Emily Hamm is a sophomore majoring in human resource management and finance. She can be reached at ehamm@vols.utk.edu.