Lauren Adams

It’s been quite a while since I have written and shared a recipe, and I think it’s about time that that changed! I have also recently taken an interest in mixology and am currently working on mastering both classic and crafty cocktails to keep in my arsenal of recipes, so today I thought it would only be right that I give you all one of my cocktail recipes!

If you know me, you know how much I love tequila. So, if you’re not a fan of it, I would suggest stopping reading here. This column will not do you much good, and I’ll see you next time!

Now that I have only the dedicated tequila fans’ attention, I want to share with you one of my favorite new drink recipes for the fall: apple cider margaritas. Not sold on it quite yet? Hear me out.

With the weather cooling down (finally) and all of the other pumpkin, cinnamon and apple flavored items appearing on the shelves in every grocery store, I knew that it was time to put away the tropical drink ingredients and figure out how to make a drink that would be fitting for any chilly fall evening.

The combination of pumpkin and tequila didn’t sound appealing by any stretch of the imagination, so my only other options of fall flavors were cinnamon and apple — perfect.

The tequila and apple combination sounded like a dream, so I immediately ran to my favorite store Kroger and picked up a bottle of apple cider along with some lemons — citrus is always useful — and got to work.

I made this the first time using a cocktail shaker, but I think that simply stirring the ingredients together would be the best method. Also, upon later thought, I realized that a great idea would be to infuse the tequila with cinnamon by putting a cinnamon stick in it and letting it chill in the fridge for a day or so. If someone tries that method, please let me know.

Without further ado, the recipe:

1 ½ oz. tequila of choice (I like the gold)

½ oz. triple sec

1 oz. simple syrup

4 oz. apple cider

For the rim:

1:1 ratio of cinnamon to sugar

Lemon wedge

On a plate, mix together cinnamon and sugar, rim a glass with lemon wedge and then dip into the sugar mixture. Fill glass with ice. Place ingredients in the order listed into the glass and stir well. Enjoy!

And remember: Always drink responsibly.

Lauren Adams is a senior studying Spanish and Political Science with a minor in Latin American and Caribbean Studies. She can be reached at ladams30@vols.utk.edu.